FATS trail check before this latest round of rain started sliding through. Still had active seeps but trails were starting to dry out. Stay tuned this won’t last forever. Thanks for protecting the trails by staying off them during the closure.
FATS is still under official USFS closure and we can’t seem to catch a break from this weather. Rained off and on the whole day yesterday adding over an inch of rain to the area. Stay tuned for updates. Thank you for staying off the FATS it will eventually dry out and be reopened.
FATS is still under official closure. Accessing the trails during an official closure can result in tickets, fines and having to report to Greenville for court. We do report to the USFS when there are users illegally accessing the trails, like today. Please respect the closure and protect these trails! Thank you.
Update - FATS is still under official USFS closure. Another inch of rain fell late Saturday as a front moved through. More drizzly rain followed on Sunday and more rain is bearing down. FATS has been closed for nearly a month now but we remain in close communication with the USFS. The closure is necessary to protect these trails so please respect the closure. Thank you
FATS is still under official USFS closure. Please do not access the trail during the closure. A scout check yesterday revealed the trail is drying out but would need a couple more dry days. However another bout of rain is moving through. Predictions for the next 10 days are warmer temps and less chance of rain. This might be the break we’ve been looking for.
In the meantime when it’s not raining and if the trails are not wet and mucky, try out one of the other trails in our area! sorbacsra.org/Trails/Trails.htm
FATS is still under official closure by the USFS due to wet trail conditions. There has been approximately 5 inches of rain in the month of January alone and the rain continues to cycle through keeping groundwater high and seeps active along the trails. This coupled with dormant foliage and cooler temperatures has slowed the drying time considerably. Stay tuned for updates. Please do not access the closed trails. Thank you!
Go to Lick Fork (Horn Creek). A few trees down, but great condition otherwise (NO MUD). The winter parking lot gate is open.
And the disappointing weather patterns continue.... Working with the USFS on Thursday and with trail evaluations it looked like with no rain FATS might open on Saturday. However, here comes another 3/4 inch give or take of rain in an all day event. Higher temps ahead will help but we need some relief from the rain!
So FATS remains under official closure and everyone is tired of the rain. Stay tuned for updates.
FATS is still under official USFS closure due to wet trail conditions. We are working very closely with the USFS. However, the rainy weather patterns are not taking a break. On a positive note it does not appear that we received as much rain as initially predicted yesterday.
FATS is still under official USFS closure and another line of thundershowers moved through around mid-day. Looks like somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch of rain. Forecast moving forward looks a little drier.
Good morning. My wife and I are looking at coming down to FATS for a weekend of riding. We live a bit north so it's a good drive. What are your thoughts about the trails being open Sat, Sun, and Mon? Thank you.
And it continues ....... fortunately not a deluge but the additional rain combined with overcast skies and cooler temperature continues to delay things from dying out. The lake is full, the river is full, the ground is saturated and there is flooding in areas.
FATS is still under official USFS closure and the rain continues. According to one gauge we use, February has a normal average of about 4 inches and we are at about 8 inches (an inch and a half of that over the last couple of days with more rain predicted).
Looks like we will get a break on temps and major rain events moving into March. The growing season for foliage will also be underway. The trails just need to dry out more.
Have never seen a stream running down the trail as you turn right towards lower Skinny and Great Wall. The stream runs across the upper connector just before the right hand turn down to lower Skinny and Great Wall and continues down the trail.
We received advanced notice last year but now have received confirmation from the USFS, there will be a prescribed burn at FATS in either March or April of 2020..
This will be a historic burn since all areas of the trail system will be burned. Once this work is complete there will not be another scheduled burn at FATS for 3 years.
We may not get much warning because they will be waiting until conditions are optimal for the burn so it might be the day of the burn when we get the warning. These generally do not take very long and once the trails are checked to ensure there are not any safety hazards, the trails will be opened back up.
The prescription for a prescribed burn is correct relative humidity, winds, temperature and fuel moisture which is why the timing must be last minute.
FATS is still under official USFS closure. That might be obvious to all local riders but FATS riders come from all over with large groups coming from Florida.
In the last 24 hours the surrounding area has had another 1 - 2 inches of rain. More and heavier rain is predicted for today.
All the singletrack trails will be too wet to ride. Give them a little time to dry out to avoid damaging the tread. Plenty of gravel but if you value your bike’s drive train you might want to consider paved for the next couple of days once the rain stops.